Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Little black (& white) picture

If you ever took a peek inside of my closet you would be hard pressed to find a bounty of vibrant colored blouses. I adore emerald's and ruby's, but prefer them in gem form on my fingers rather then dyed in to my top. I'd say I am the queen of the basic black anything. Dress, slacks, t-shirt, pullover -- no, it's a cardigan, but thanks for noticin'! You probably won't find me rockin' Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat out to the bar on a Friday night.

So when I was scanning through my pictures the other day and realized they were all colorized I knew I had to even the score.

Years ago I owned your standard college bar, tailgating approved point and shoot Olympus FE-190. It did the trick for a year or two, but I am afraid the thousands of crashes it took to the pavement on my stumbles home from Firehouse (R.I.P.) and the few hundred rum and cokes that were spilled on its delicate frame didn't aide in extending its precious life. I loved my point and shoot, but was always disappointed that it didn't allow me to take pictures in b&w. I mean sure I could edit the photos after the fact and transform them to grayscale, but I never felt like it did the trick.


Enter -- love of my life #2 (Hi Matty!!)

The black and white shooting option on my Nikon is fan-freaking-tastic! The contrast, the contour. Oh la la, I'm in love! Shooting in black and white was more challenging for me, but I was up to the test. Below are two of my favorites. Let me know what you think!




An espresso and bottle of Pellegrino on a lovely spring afternoon outside of an adorable French Bistro! I enjoy how the sophistication and simplicity of the classic beverages is translated through the pure black and white contrasts.




This fantastic light fixture was hung outside of Brooks Brothers. I really enjoy the contrast of the matted white bulb against the hard metal fixtures.


No comments:

Post a Comment