Thursday, May 20, 2010

Through my lens: Part III - FLORAL

I never thought when I began taking pictures that I would become so consumed and borderline obsessed with photographing flowers. However as the seasons turned this year, and the rain gave way to glorious sun drenched afternoons I became enchanted. The sleepy buds which decorated the limbs of hibernating trees spanning the Bay Area woke to the warmer days and enchanted my eyes and my lens.

What I enjoy most is the life which is exuded through the colors and shapes of the various flowers. I look forward to the new blooms which will awaken with each new season and until then below are a few of my favorite floral shots thus far.



I came across this Calla Lilly while at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga. What I find most beautiful about Calla Lillies are their strong form, causing them to almost always appear "fake" to me. I love the contrast in this photo of the stark white against the rich green foliage in the background.



This photo (along with many, many more of my floral shots) was taken at the Heritage Rose Garden in San Jose. It was shot in direct sunlight, which I often find quite challenging. As I mentioned earlier I love the ability of flowers to emit life in photographs which I think this does exquisitely. The stamen resemble little bugs which I adore!



There is a wonderful trail here in San Jose which is spotted with thousands of these flowers along side. They must be very sweet and delicious flowers because theses bees were workin' hard for the money! I love the vibrant purple against the deep greens and actually find myself slightly less terrified of bees for a moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment