Thursday, May 20, 2010

Through my lens: Part IV - LANDSCAPES

It has come to my attention recently (thanks in part to the copious number of Pure Michigan and California - Find Yourself Here television spots) that I was born and raised, and now stake my claim in two of the most spectacularly gorgeous landscapes in the good 'ol U. S. of A.!

We I always manage to find something regarding where we I live to complain about. The pristine blanket of glistening snow draped over the towering pine trees makes for an arduous commute to work in which we I cure the entire way at the driver ahead. The glorious sun that streams between the slats of the mini blinds in the early morning and warms up a cloudless afternoon becomes a nuisance and "wayyy too hot" when the desire arises to enjoy a dinner on a restaurant patio. Pesky mosquito's there, heavy fog here ... the grass is always greener ...

The seasons change, leaves come and go, crops bear the fruits of their labor and then are consumed. But the landscape of the land on which they affix themselves remains relatively unchanged and spectacular!

Dictionary.com defines a landscape as:

"The category of aesthetic subject matter in which natural scenery is represented."

which I thinks suits that aspect of my photography quite well.

Years from now a certain Meyer Lemon tree (which I happen to find delightful) which showcases its bounty in the front lawn of a neighbors home may fall victim to a cold winter frost or be torn down to erect a new taqueria or Subway. Or perhaps the rugged terrain of costal Big Sur may erode from the harsh Pacific gales further inland or collapse upon itself in an epic earthquake. However, the photographs of their lives will remain forever.



Highway 1, notably the stretch through Big Sur, is often referred to as the most beautiful stretch of highway in the United States and has been quoted as being "the most spectacular meeting of land and sea in the World". I couldn't agree more. I love the way in which the heavy costal fog creeps up along the rugged land and the pure teals of the ocean water.



Vibrance. Life. Enough said.



The adorable community which I call home has a fantastic farmer's market each Sunday morning. The fruit, vegetables and flowers are the most fresh and in season picks you can find. Each stand is covered by the sellers with an awning to shield the shoppers and workers from the prominent pulse of the glaring sun, but I love the way in which it managed the peek through and fall upon these vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment